Geography Undergraduate Advising
406 Social Sciences
View our Advising Calendar and learn how to schedule an appointment.
View the temporary advising calendar
Geography advising and major declaration
Current and prospective students are welcome to meet with the geography advisor to find their fit in our undergraduate programs and to stay on track for their degree plan.
Ivan Bialostosky is the advisor for the geography BA, BS, and minor programs. He is regularly available for geog/GIS-only drop-in advising hours or by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Your geography advisor will:
- Discuss the degree plan that works for you
- Determine what courses are accepted for major credit
- Orient you to department resources
- Help you declare
- Help you select your first major courses
- Keep you on track for graduation
- Discuss old vs. new BS options (New BS degree requirements and GIS Track available)
- Help you register for courses
- help you understand changes to new degree plans
- Approve course petitions
- Address honors thesis requirements and special courses
- Discuss senior projects options with you
For advising outside of the geography program (college and liberal education requirements, transfer credits, and other APAS issues), see your CLA advisor.
- Consult the program planning documents to learn more about the differences between our degree programs.
- Fill out the declaration form for the program you are interested in.
- Attend geography drop-in advising with peer advisors.
- Bring a completed declaration form
See General Advising page for live calendar