Geography Undergraduate Advising
481 Social Sciences
Find out how to schedule an appointment.
View the ">temporary advising calendar
Geography advising and major declaration
Current and prospective students are welcome to meet with the geography advisor to find their fit in our undergraduate programs and to stay on track for their degree plan.
Dr. Jeanette Simmonds is the advisor for the geography BA, BS, and minor programs. She is regularly available for drop-in advising hours, by appointment, and by email. Marco Garcia is the geography peer advisor. He can offer great insight into courses, faculty expertise, resources, and scheduling during his geography drop-in peer-advising hours. Both Jeanette and Marco Garcia can be reached by the same email.
Your geography advisor will:
- Discuss the degree plan that works for you
- Determine what courses are accepted for major credit
- Orient you to department resources
- Help you declare
- Help you select your first major courses
- Keep you on track for graduation
- Help you register for courses
- Approve course petitions
- Address honors thesis requirements and special courses
- Discuss senior projects options with you
For advising outside of the geography program (college and liberal education requirements, transfer credits, and other APAS issues), see your CLA advisor.
- Fill out the declaration form for the program you are interested in.
- Attend geography drop-in advising w/ Jeanette or Emily or make an appointment with Jeanette Simmonds.
- Bring a completed declaration form
See General Advising page for live calendar