Dr. Ivan Bialostosky
423 Social Sciences (West Bank)
612 625 0133
View our Advising Calendar and learn how to schedule an appointment.
View the ">temporary advising calendar.
Geography Advising and Major Declaration
Current and prospective students are welcome to meet with the geography advisor to find their fit in our undergraduate programs and to stay on track for their degree plan.
Ivan Bialostosky is the advisor for the geography BA, BS, and minor programs.
During this period of social distancing during the COVID-19 outbreak of 2020, all advising for the Department of Geography, Environment, and Society will be done remotely.
Advising will be available over Zoom, Google Meet, or telephone. Zoom is the preferred medium for advising. For students who are not able to find a private place to conduct an advising appointment, advising can be done through Google Chat. All U of M students have access to Zoom. Find information on how to access and use Zoom.
Quick questions can be answered in email as usual. You may direct all email inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
From March 16 to April 6, all advising will be by appointment. Appointments will be available every day and appointments can be scheduled on the appointment calendar. If you cannot find an appointment time that works for you, please email email@example.com and we will find a time that works for you.
- Discuss the degree plan that works for you
- Determine what courses are accepted for major credit
- Orient you to department resources
- Help you declare
- Help you select your first major courses
- Keep you on track for graduation
- Discuss old vs. new BS options (New BS degree requirements and GIS Track available)
- Help you register for courses
- help you understand changes to new degree plans
- Approve course petitions
- Address honors thesis requirements and special courses
- Discuss senior projects options with you
For advising outside of the geography program (college and liberal education requirements, transfer credits, and other APAS issues), see your CLA advisor.
- Consult the program planning documents to learn more about the differences between our degree programs.
- Fill out the declaration form for the program you are interested in.
- Attend geography drop-in advising with peer advisors.
- Bring a completed declaration form