PSEO (Post-Secondary Enrollment Options)
High school students who are admitted to the University of Minnesota PSEO program (Post Secondary Enrollment Options) are eligible to participate in music ensembles and coursework that is available to all undergraduate students on campus.
Music PSEO Program
High school students who wish to enroll in applied music lessons (private one-on-one study) with a faculty member during their junior or senior year of high school must apply to the U of M PSEO Program AND submit an application to the School of Music. Finalists will be invited to give a live audition. Students who gain admission to the program must concurrently enroll in a major-level University ensemble each semester they take applied lessons with a faculty member. In addition to lessons and ensembles, students admitted to the Music PSEO Program also have priority access to music major-level coursework in theory, ear-training, keyboarding, and music history.
How to Apply
- Apply to the University of Minnesota PSEO Program— April 16, 2021 application (postmark) deadline
- Apply to the School of Music PSEO Program — April 1, 2021 application deadline
- Applicant profile
- Includes your contact information, studio instructor preference, musical and educational history, as well as space to list musical accomplishments and personal goals.
- Video Audition
- Required of all applicants and must be submitted with the application to the School of Music
- Two letters of recommendation
- The application will gather the email addresses of your references and collect the letters on your behalf.
- Applicant profile
- Finalists will be invited to audition
- Each application will undergo a review of the initial assessment of the information provided by the student with consideration for the number of open studio spaces available any given academic year, and target enrollments determined by the School of Music and College of Liberal Arts. Finalists will be invited to give a live audition for the faculty at a time and date determined after selection.
- Review the audition repertoire requirements to ensure you are preparing appropriate material.
The School of Music aims to notify students who complete an application by the deadline of their results by the end of May. If admitted, every effort will be made to honor requests to study with a specific faculty member based on studio availability and balance. However, the School of Music cannot guarantee placement in your preferred instructor's studio.