BFA in Acting
The University of Minnesota/Guthrie Theater BFA Actor Training Program offers an undergraduate training curriculum, which leads to a Bachelor of Fine Arts (BFA) degree. In a unique actor training partnership, The University of Minnesota College of Liberal Arts and the Guthrie Theater combine outstanding academic preparation with the artistic vision of the internationally known Guthrie Theater.
Immerse yourself in rigorous training founded on an innovative liberal arts curriculum, while working directly with a company of professional artists in a studio atmosphere at the Guthrie’s new multi-stage center.
The program is dedicated to developing the mind, body, voice and spirit of the actor/artist/scholar. We provide our students with a variety of skills essential to realize the dynamics of performing text of classic stature. The skills acquired during the exploration of classic text will be applied to contemporary literature drawn from the world repertoire, as well as emerging dramatic forms. Our students are devoted to the pursuit of academic and creative study. We cultivate the actor, artist and scholar by providing a unique curriculum rooted in four guiding principles:
- An expansive liberal arts education.
- An intensive studio-training curriculum, which is committed to the integration of voice, movement and acting within a wide range of styles.
- An eclectic performing arts experience, with a focus on live Theater.
- A dynamic partnership between the Guthrie Theater and the University of Minnesota.
The combination of experiences under the auspices of both an academic institution and a professional theater offers the student a broader perception of the performing arts community within today’s landscape.
We are dedicated to:
- Fostering the principles of collaboration.
- Developing the art of ensemble performance.
- Honoring the integrity of the artistic process.
- Inspiring the spirit of generosity towards the creative process, fellow artists and the audience.
We seek students from diverse backgrounds and experiences who are: serious about acting; curious and inquisitive; show raw talent rather than slick polish; Passionate about literature and history, rather than dream of fortune; demonstrate a sense of humor, a willingness to take risks, and even to fail trying. We embrace the continual development of the artist’s distinctive voice and encourage students to design their individual paths towards artistic fulfillment. Our goal is to provide the foundation that inspires our students to begin life long journeys of learning and artistic expression. Ranked #23 Best BFA Acting Program for 2018/2019 by OnStage Blog.