Search Websites and Resources
On this Page:
There are lots of job/internship websites out there that have helpful information and listings geared toward entry-level job seekers.
Most companies and professional organizations, for example, post job and internship opportunities on their own websites and/or on larger job-posting websites. You’ll also find many independent websites that focus partially or exclusively on job and internship listings geared toward college students and recent graduates.
Some websites you may want to use:
- LinkedIn: Combine your job/internship search with networking and find out who you’re connected with at an organization of interest.
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits: This site offers a thorough listing of jobs and internships at nonprofits throughout the state.
- Idealist: This site features local, national, and international nonprofit and NGO (non-governmental organization) jobs, internships, and volunteer roles.
- USAJobs: This is the official job search website of the United States government.
- GoinGlobal—Access this resource through Handshake to find geographically relevant job/internship sites as well as other location-specific job search advice.
- Career field-specific websites: Job and internship search sites, as well as professional organizations, have been curated for eight different career fields; use this resource to find opportunities that are relevant for what industry you want to work in.
- Major-specific websites: Job and internship search sites, as well as professional organizations, have been curated for each of the CLA majors; use this resource to find opportunities that are relevant for your majors and minors.
- Handshake: A free search database of jobs, internships, and volunteer positions for UMN students and alumni
Go ahead and use these sites if you’d like. But limit the amount of time you spend on them. And remember the key pros and cons of using job search websites:
Check Out Our “Federal Employment Search Tips” Handout
Looking for a concise, interactive guide on finding a job with the federal government? Check out the Federal Employment Search Tips handout.
Check out our Navigating Identity in the Job Search resource. The U of M has also put together several websites geared toward the unique career needs of students with particular identities:
- Students with disabilities
- LGBTQIA+ students
- Multicultural students
- Undocumented and DACA students
- Women students
- Veteran students
- International students
Staffing Agencies can be a helpful resource to engage with. They work with job seekers to help connect them to open job opportunities that organizations have. Their services are free for job seekers.
Watch a panel of Staffing Agency representatives from a wide range of industries and/or watch short 3 min. snapshot videos about some of the agencies.
If you do decide to work with a staffing agency, you can use Handshake to identify potential agencies to contact. Here’s how:
- Click on the “Jobs” tab at the top of the Handshake page.
- On the screen that follows, click on the “Employers” tab.
- On the next page, on the left-hand side of the screen, look for the “Labels” notation at the bottom of the white column.
- Click on “View all.” (Note: If you don’t see an option to “View all,” you’ll first need to click the carat (^) sign to the right of the word “Labels.”)
- On the “All Options” screen that pops up, click the “third party recruiter” box, then click “Done.”
You’ll now see a full list of vetted third-party recruiters (i.e., staffing agencies).
Below is a list of staffing agencies that have engaged with UMN-TC Career Services, noting what industries, types of roles, and/or populations they focus on. CLA Career Services does not endorse the use of any specific agency and we encourage candidates to research each agency and ask thorough questions before engaging.
Advent Talent Group: Creative, Customer Service, Human Resources, Marketing
Aerotek: Data Analytics, Healthcare Administration, Human Resources, Marketing, Sales
Avenica: Customer Service, Data Analytics, Human Resources, Insurance, Information, Recent Graduates, Technology, Marketing
Award Staffing: Data Analytics, Finance, Human Resources
Beacon Hill: Administrative
Brooksource: Finance, Information Technology, Sales
Creatis: Creative, Marketing
Emergency Care Consultants: Medical Scribe
EPPA: Medical Scribe
ESP IT: Information Technology
Insight Global: Accounting/Finance, Administrative, Banking/Financial Services, Customer Service, Data Analysis, Healthcare, Information Technology/Software Development, Sales
Katapult Network: Recent Graduates
Kelly Services: Education, Finance, Government, Information Technology, Science
Kforce: Information Technology, Sales
Robert Half: Legal, Finance, Information Technology
Salo: Finance, Human Resources
Seek Professionals: Customer Service, Marketing, Sales
Scribe America: Medical Scribe
Russell Tobin: Customer Service, Data Analytics,Finance, Human Resources, Marketing, Sales, Healthcare
VALERE: Data Analytics, Finance, Human Resources, Marketing