What Can I Do With a Major In Jewish Studies?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about a major in Jewish studies. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and Jewish studies majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include cross-cultural knowledge and understanding of minority perspectives, historical perspective on the continuing impact of religion upon culture, close reading and critical analysis of texts, and the ability to formulate clear and persuasive messages.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "IAS" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- HECUA internship program
- Center for Holocaust and Genocide Studies at the U of M, Twin Cities
- Jewish Jobs
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- MA, Rabbinic Studies, Hebrew Union College, Jewish Institute of Religion
- MAT, Museum Education, The George Washington University
- MA and Ordination, Jewish Studies, Jewish Theological Seminary of America
- Rabbinical Ordination, Ziegler School of Rabbinic Studies
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!