What Can I Do With a Major In Philosophy?
explore majors and careers!
Connect with us in a drop-in or appointment!
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the philosophy major. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and philosophy majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include strong verbal and written communication skills, analytical and reasoning skills, and the ability to formulate clear and persuasive messages.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "SAI" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- HECUA internship program
- The Social Service Job Site
- USA Jobs
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- Master of Arts, Philosophy and Religious Studies, Columbia University
- Master of Arts, Philosophy, University of Chicago
- Master of Arts, Philosophy & Religious Studies, University of Houston
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!