Internships give students an opportunity to gain hands-on work experience, build on their coursework, and contribute to the success of a business or organization. Internships help students grow their professional networks, explore different career paths, and may lead to job opportunities after graduation. Technical Writing and Communication (TWC) majors are encouraged to complete an internship during the summer after their junior year or during their senior yea
Interns gain skills and professional experience
- Writing and Editing
- Conducting research in science, technology, legal issues, or public policy
- Designing computer applications, websites, graphics, or visual presentations
- Participating in organizational or intercultural communication strategies
- Participating in information design and project management
- Developing communication materials for government, education, business, scientific, or technical industries
Technical Writing and Communication majors have found internships at:
St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital
The Toro Company
University Usability Lab
WRIT 3896 Internships for Technical Writing and Communication
To receive academic credit for an internship in the TWC major, students must receive prior approval before enrolling in WRIT 3896. This 3-credit course fulfills a Technical Writing and Communication major elective. Students are eligible to enroll in WRIT 3896 after completing 18 credits in the TWC major and WRIT 3562W, Technical and Professional Writing.
To register for WRIT 3896:
- Find an internship through the Internships for CLA Students website or one of the additional resources listed below.
- Contact Jane Carlson to review your internship and the approval process.
- Work with your internship employer to fill out the WRIT 3896 Work Agreement Plan.
- Submit the Work Agreement Plan and receive a permission number to register for WRIT 3896.
Follow the Student Instructions for Internship Site Agreement (in Handshake) to register your internship with the CLA no later than the first two weeks of the term.
- The CLA Career Services Office offers career coaching and resources to explore different careers and gain experience.
- Check the TWC newsletter for internship postings.
- Students can apply for internship scholarships through the CLA to help fund their TWC internship.
Connect with members of the Technical Communication Advisory Board.