Scholarships for Majors
The Department has scholarships for majors in our programs:
- Scholarships in German Studies: up to two $3,000 awards for GSD majors with a German emphasis.
- The Mary Ann Wilson Hansen Scholarship in Scandinavian Studies: up to two $3,000 awards for GSD majors with a Scandinavian & Finnish emphasis.
- The Russian Major Scholarship: depending on available funding, the awards can be up to $3,000.
These scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit, with some consideration given to financial need. Priority is given to students who have not previously received our scholarships.
- Must have filed a major program form with us
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0; over the past few years, successful candidates have generally had a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Must have completed at least one course in the major at UMN
- Must be registered for 15-18 credits during the semester of the award
Applications for these scholarships are usually due in Spring semester; the deadline is announced here and through our undergraduate listservs. The following materials are usually required:
- Application form
- A one-page statement discussing your interest in German studies, Scandinavian & Finnish, or Russian: why you are applying for a scholarship, and a brief indication of financial need.
- A letter of recommendation from a GNSD instructor, preferably a faculty member. (NOTE: All letters must reach the department by the application deadline, so you should request it as soon as possible)