Scholarships for Majors
The Department has scholarships for majors in our programs:
- The GSD Scholarship in German Studies: up to two $3000 awards for GSD majors with a German emphasis.
- The Mary Ann Wilson Hansen Scholarship in Scandinavian Studies: up to two $3000 awards for GSD majors with a Scandinavian & Finnish emphasis.
- The Russian Major Scholarship: depending on available funding, the awards can be up to $3000.
These scholarships are awarded on the basis of merit, with some consideration given to financial need. Priority is given to students who have not previously received our scholarships.
- Must have filed a major program form with us
- Must have a minimum GPA of 3.0; over the past few years successful candidates have generally had a GPA of 3.5 or higher
- Must have completed at least one course in the major at the University
- Must be registered for 15-18 credits during the semester of the award
- For GSD majors, see the instructions below.
- For Russian majors, contact the Director of Undergraduate Studies for Russian, Prof. Gary Jahn.
The deadline is usually in spring semester and is announced here and on our undergraduate listservs. The following materials are required:
- Application form (pdf). (Please contact email@example.com if you have problems downloading this form or if you would like it as a Word document.)
- A one-page statement discussing your interest in German studies or Scandinavian & Finnish why you are applying for a scholarship, and a brief indication of financial need.
- A letter of recommendation from a GNSD instructor (preferably a faculty member) (NOTE: All letters must reach the department by the application deadline, so you should request it as soon as possible)