Internships & Community Engagement
Whether through paid work, internships, or community engagement, experience matters. Gaining hands-on experience is the best way to gain real-world skills, build a network of professional contacts, and test out careers that best suit you. Employers seek job candidates with experience. Internships and community engagement will help you build your resume and increase your chances of getting the career you want.
Use the Psychology list of volunteer and internship sites to browse local organizations and find an engagement experience related to your interests and goals. Read the Psych Scoop newsletter to stay up-to-date on current position openings, and meet with psychology advising for additional assistance.
The Psychology Engagement Award awards up to $500 each semester for students participating in an unpaid, hands-on engagement experience related to psychology.
PSY 3996: Internships in Psychology: The Department of Psychology offers a limited number of seats in PSY 3996: Internships in Psychology, which allows students to earn elective credit toward their psychology major.
CLA Career Services can help you explore your interests, find internships, apply to positions, and more.
- Search listings in GoldPASS
- Attend the CLA Internship Fair
- Apply for CLA Internship Scholarships
- Take ID 3208: Internship Reflection
The Center for Community-Engaged Learning (CCEL) focuses on getting students involved in the local community:
- Volunteer at a non-profit organization in the Twin Cities. Meet with a CCEL peer advisor to learn about opportunities that match your interests, values, and goals.
- Take Service-learning classes, that allow you to incorporate community engagement into your coursework. Check out a full listing of service-learning courses (including three PSY classes) on the Center for Community-Engaged Learning website.
- Explore the Community Engagement Scholars Program, which allows you to gain distinction for integrating community engagement into your undergraduate education.