What Can I Do With a Major In Art?
explore majors and careers!
Connect with us in a drop-in or appointment!
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the art major. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and art majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include the ability to work independently and collaboratively, creative problem-solving skills and specialized skills/techniques in a fine arts field.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "ASI" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- Careers in Art
- Comic Artists Direct
- Fashion Net
- Fashion Schools
- Incredible Art Department
- National Endowment for the Arts
- New York Foundation for the Arts
- Student Art Guide
- The Art Project
- World Wide Art Resources
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- Amateur Art Club
- Friends of Free Arts Minnesota
- WAM Collective
- Ceramics Collective
- The Wake
- Hip Hope
- Open Stage
- Music Sharing Club
- University Collaborative Ambassadors for Northrop
- Ivory Tower: University of Minnesota’s Literary Magazine
- Chicken Feet Artists Collective
- Digital Art Studio
- Flatlanders Art Collective
- Aardvark Arts
- American Alliance of Museums
- American Art Therapy Association
- American Craft Council
- American Institute of Graphic Arts
- American Society of Media Photographers
- Animation World Network
- Association of Independent Colleges of Art and Design
- Association of Medical Illustrators
- College Art Association
- Industrial Designers Society of America
- National Cartoonists Society
- National Press Photographers Association
- Society of American Archivists
- Society of Children’s Book Writers and Illustrators
- Society of Illustrators
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!