What Can I Do With a Major In Communication Studies?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
Dept. of Communication Studies
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the communication studies major. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and communication studies majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include strong oral /interpersonal communication skills, digital literacy skills and analytical & critical thinking.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "SAI" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- Talent Zoo
- Ad Week
- Small Publishers, Artists and Writers Network
- The Write Jobs
- HECUA internship program
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- International Association of Business Communicators
- American Communication Association
- Communication Associations (from American Rhetoric)
- Association for Women in Communications
- Public Relations Society of America
- International Communication Association
- Association of American Publishers
- Magazine Publishers of America
- American Advertising Federation
- Association of Directory of Publishers
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!