The Economics Advising team will guide students through the major or minor declaration process. Students can declare an Economics major or minor at any point, however, we recommend declaring early to receive access to departmental resources such as scholarships, networking and research opportunites, and academic support.
There are four major pathways and two minors in the Department of Economics
Economics BA-B (Business Economics Emphasis)
Economics BA-Q (Quantitative Emphasis)
The foundational courses to progress into upper-level requirements in Economics are:
- ECON 1101 - Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 1102 - Principles of Macroeconomics
- MATH 1142 - Short Calculus OR Math 1271 - Calculus I
Students interested in pursuing a BS, BA-Q, or Econometrics minor will need to take MATH 1271 - Calculus I to progress in the Math requirements for the majors and minor. Short Calculus will not count toward the BS, BA-Q and Econometrics minor.
To declare an Economics major or minor, please request access to be added to the module by filling out the form HERE. It typically takes 1-2 business days to be added to the module after completing the form.
- Once you are added to the canvas module you will need to read through the module, take the module quizzes (score 100%), and complete the Economics declaration form.
- If you would like to meet with an Economics advisor to discuss your major sequencing or ways to get involved with the Department, please make an appointment.