Declaring an Economics Major
The Economics Advising team will guide students through the major declaration process. In order to declare a major, students must successfully complete the preparatory courses. Students currently taking the preparatory courses, may begin the declaration process:
- ECON 1101 - Principles of Microeconomics
- ECON 1102 - Principles of Macroeconomics
- Math 1271 - Calculus I
Students interested in pursuing a BS or BA-Q will also need to complete Math 1272 - Calculus II before declaring the major. However, they may first declare a BA and later switch to a BA-Q or BS once their final grade for MATH 1272 becomes available.
Steps to Declare an Economics Major:
- Complete the Pre-Declaration Module in Canvas. To be eligible to enroll in the canvas module, students need to have the above preparatory courses in-progress or completed. Please request access to be added to the module by filling out the form HERE.
- Once you are added to the canvas module you will need to complete the module, take the module quiz (score 100%), and then attend a group declaration session.
- Registration for the group sessions is located on the "Group Declaration Session Sign Up" page of the module. There, you will find the dates and times of the meetings.
- Due to recent changes in the University's policies, the group sessions will take place through Zoom. The zoom link to attend your chosen group session will be emailed to you near the date of your session. Following the session, the Economics advisors will provide you instructions to register for ECON 3101 - Intermediate Microeconomics.
Please Note: Students cannot take upper-level (3000-4000) Economics courses until they officially declare a major.