The department offers several scholarships to support undergraduates working in the field of history. The scholarships are available at different stages of an undergraduate student’s career and can cover things like tuition, living expenses, books, and travel for research. Students who wish to apply for a history department scholarship must meet the general requirements listed below, and should also refer to the individual scholarship pages for specific scholarship requirements.
General requirements for a History Department undergraduate scholarship:
- An overall cumulative GPA of 3.2 from all schools attended
- A cumulative history-course GPA of 3.5 from all history courses taken at any school
- A minimum of 50 credits completed at the time your scholarship is dispersed
- Three upper division (3xxx or above) history courses at the University of Minnesota -Twin Cities campus completed before your scholarship is dispersed
- Registered undergraduate student at the University during the upcoming academic year (i.e., the next fall and/or spring semesters)
To apply, submit the following materials to the Undergraduate Studies (UGS) Office, 1135 Heller Hall, or email the materials to email@example.com along with your application and related materials specific to each scholarship:
- A cover letter acknowledging which scholarship(s) you are applying for, and including your current email address, and name of reference if required. The cover letter is not part of the application and needs to only contain this information.
- A current transcript (including your previous fall semester grades); unofficial copies are fine
- Any additional material required for the specific scholarship for which you are applying (see specific scholarships for additional requirements)
The history department offers prizes for outstanding undergraduate student papers. If you would like your paper to be considered for an award, please check the individual paper prize requirements and review the general department requirements before making your submission.
To be eligible for prize submission, papers must:
- Be completed between January 1 and December 31 of the preceding calendar year (even if you graduate before the prize is awarded).
- Be accompanied by an appropriate cover letter acknowledging which prize(s) you are applying for, the title of your paper, and your current email address.
Application Submission Procedures
Procedures for Submitting Applications for Scholarships and/or Paper Prizes
Once all of the relevant materials have been gathered, submit them electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may submit them in the form of word documents or as a PDF. If you are applying for multiple scholarships or paper prizes, submit complete and separate applications for each one. If you do not have the ability to submit these materials electronically, print out one copy of your materials for each application and submit hard copies to the History Undergraduate Studies Office, 1135 Heller Hall. If you have further questions, contact email@example.com.