Thank you for your interest in the University of Minnesota Choirs. We have eight different choral ensembles that serve a range of experience and ability. We have a place for all singers interested in singing in a choir. To best understand how to get involved, please read the information below. If you have any questions, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are two different types of choral ensembles at the University of Minnesota: Auditioned Ensembles and Non-Auditioned Campus Singers Ensembles. All of our ensembles are open to all students, regardless of major or college affiliation.
Experienced singers with a significant background in choral singing looking for a rigorous and exciting musical experience will find our auditioned ensembles most rewarding. Auditioned ensembles usually perform in 3-4 concerts each semester and may also be called to perform for special concerts and conducting recitals. These ensembles include:
- MUS 3230, section 001- Women's Chorus, meets MW 3:35 – 5:05 pm
- MUS 5240, section 001 - University Singers, meets MWF 12:45 – 2:15 pm
- MUS 5240, section 002 - Chamber Singers, meets MWF 12:45 – 2:15 pm (not offered in Spring 2023)
All students interested in joining University Singers, University Chamber Singers, or Women’s Chorus for the first time must audition. Returning University and Chamber Singers and Women’s Chorus students need not audition.
Spring 2023 Audition Information
Spring 2023 choral auditions will take place on Wednesday, December 7 from noon-2:30pm.
To request an audition time, please fill out the audition sign up form. Your specific audition time will be emailed to you in early December. Course registration will occur upon completion of a successful audition.
Spring 2023 Choral Audition Requirements
Prepare a 2-3 minute a cappella or accompanied solo of your choice. The selection can be in any language and drawn from the following:• folk, popular, art, or original songs• hymns or patriotic songs• excerpt from opera / oratorio solo arias or musical theater solo songs
Prepare Exercise 3 from the UMN Audition Vocalises Sheet
- You will also be asked to vocalize and sing tonal memory exercises.
Any student can register for any of the Campus Singers sections or Gospel Choir without audition. Register early, as these ensembles often fill up. Ensembles include:
- MUS 3200, section 001 - Campus Singers Gold (Mixed Ensemble) meets Tuesday/Thursday from 12:15 – 1:15 pm
- MUS 3200, section 002 - Campus Singers Maroon (Mixed Ensemble), meets Mondays from 6:00 – 8:00 pm
- MUS 3380, section 001 - Gospel Choir (Mixed Ensemble), meets Tuesdays from 6:00 – 8:00 pm