You are here



To transfer to the School of Music, you must follow the three step process on the Apply page. In addition, you will need to submit a completed Transfer Release Form. See the process for transferring music credits.

Transfer release 

As an accredited, institutional member school of the National Association for Schools of Music, we require students who are currently enrolled at a school of music and looking to transfer to the University of Minnesota School of Music to submit a transfer release form by the application deadline of their desired term of entry. Forms may be submitted electronically to, or by post to Music Admissions, 200A Ferguson Hall, 2106 4th Street South, Minneapolis MN 55455. 

Transfer of credits

If you have taken music coursework for credit at another institution, you may be able to apply those credits toward, and be exempt from, the equivalent coursework at the School of Music. This will require you to undergo a transfer course review process that may include:

  • placement exams for theory and ear training,
  • syllabus review for academic and specialized music courses
  • transfer jury for applied lessons and ensembles 

Transfer students must take placement exams and have syllabi reviewed at the beginning of their first semester after admission.

Please contact a transfer specialist in the Office of Admissions for information on the transfer of liberal education/general credits to the University of Minnesota. 

Transfer Questions?  Contact the Music Admissions Office: | 612-624-2847