Build Your CLA Pre-Health Team
You decide what experiences and background are most important to you based on your goals and priorities. University professionals are available for advice and consultation to support you in your pre-health journey. Recruit key players to assist you in reaching your goals.
You are the captain of your pre-health team.
It is your responsibility to develop your unique portfolio of experiences and skills by engaging in the classroom and in the community. You can do this by…
- Joining meaningful student organizations.
- Volunteering where it matters to you.
- Building relationships with professionals and faculty mentors.
- Connecting to research projects that make you wonder.
- Gaining experience related to your intended profession.
- Researching to find programs that match your profile and your personal goals.
You can’t do it alone! Make sure to recruit key team members.
Your CLA College Advisor has the resources to get you started.
Every College Advisor in CLA is trained to serve pre-health students, regardless of major. Your CLA College Advisor offers you…
- One-on-one appointments to talk about your goals, plans, and interests.
- Help exploring academic and professional choices.
- Personalized assistance with course and degree planning, blending major and pre-health requirements.
- Professional guidance in arranging your long-term plan to incorporate the elements that are important to you.
- Continuity of advising throughout your undergraduate experience, whether your interests change or remain the same.
- Knowledgeable referrals to additional resources.
CLA Career Coaches help you manage career decisions.
They can help you sort out how your major relates to your career. They support you in taking steps toward your health career goals and considering alternate plans as needed. They offer you:
- Resources for exploring the Healthcare & Science Career Field, CLA majors, and career options within various health professions
- Graduate school preparation for professional health programs.
- Support with graduate school application materials such as résumé, cover letter, and personal statement reviews.
- Internship, employment, and networking resources.
- Resources for entrance exam preparation (e.g., GRE, MCAT, PCAT, DAT, etc.).
- Planning for a “gap year(s)” as a way to build skills and competencies to enhance your application materials for professional health programs
- In-person interview preparation and practice
Pre-Health Student Resource Center Staff help you to finalize your plans.
They work with you to identify your role in healthcare and follow through with a plan. They offer you…
- Exploratory courses to help you confirm and work toward your health career goals.
- An annual Health Careers Fair to help you connect to additional people and resources.
- A template for you to build a personal pre-health Action Plan.
- Virtual and in-person information sessions and workshops.
- Annual Health Professional School Expo.
- Program Application details and information.
- 1:1 appointments to
- provide Pre-Health Action Plan feedback and coaching
- review your personal statement for an application to a health program.
- prepare for an interview using InterviewStream
Your Personal Pre-Health Network supports you in critical ways.
The importance of building and nurturing relationships with faculty members, volunteer coordinators, employment supervisors, mentors and health professionals cannot be overstated. Members of your personal pre-health network can…
- Provide you with insight into your chosen health profession through informational interviews.
- Allow you to see for yourself what this profession looks like through shadowing opportunities.
- Help you to gain valuable experience through volunteer or work opportunities.
- Introduce you to other significant people who share your interests.
- Guide you toward additional opportunities beyond the scope of your awareness.
- Write letters of recommendation for you as part of your health professional school application.
CLA Pre-Health Email