Explore Healthcare Careers
Healthcare is a broad and evolving field. As an undergraduate student, exploring options and gaining experience in health and non-health settings can give you confidence in finding your place in healthcare.
Do your own research to analyze careers, utilize resources, practice networking (i.e., attending career fairs, informational interviews with professionals in the field, etc.), and reflect on yourself, your goals, and what you need in your career!
Learning about the health professions has multiple benefits!
- You can better appreciate all of the health professions that you will work with in the future.
- You may find multiple roles that could be a good fit for you - which provides you with a "back-up" plan
- You will have more confidence that the health profession you are pursuing is right for you!
Consider Healthcare Careers According to What Matters to You
- Disaster and Emergency Specialist
- Environmental Health Specialist
- Health Equity Director
- Health Policy Analyst
- Infection Preventionist
- Global Health Consultant
- Occupational Health and Safety Expert
- Water Quality Specialist
- Community Health Promoter
- Healthcare Administrator
- Healthcare Marketing and Communication Specialist
- Medical Sales Representative
- Nonproﬁt Executive Director
- Public Health Educator
- Public Health Nurse
- Public Health Nutritionist
- Social and Community Service Manager
- Social Worker
- Dental Hygienist
- Dietitian and Nutritionist
- Genetic Counselor
- Health Coach
- Mental Health Counselor
- Occupational Therapist
- Physical Therapist
- Biomedical Researcher
- Clinical Research Coordinator
- Forensic Scientist
- Health Information Manager
- Health Systems Analyst
- Medical Laboratory Scientist
- Medical Researcher
- Medical Technology Researcher and Developer
- Natural Science Manager
- Physician Assistant
- Speech-Language Pathologist
Steps You Can Take To Prepare
- Conduct informational interviews with pre-health students further in their journey, graduate students in health professional programs, and health professionals
- Read job descriptions to get an understanding of the key skills, competencies, and qualifications needed for your desired health function
- Shadow health professionals in different health settings to get a sense of the work environment
- Find an experience in a health setting (examples include a local hospital, clinic, healthcare organization). Non-medical settings are also a meaningful experience to build your core career competencies!
- Connect with a Career Counselor in CLA Career Services and/or someone on your Pre-Health Team
- "Healthcare & Science" is one of the eight most common broad career fields CLA graduates pursue. Sign up for this career field's enewsletter.
- Explore Health Careers
- UMN Health Career Options
- Enroll in the pre-health section of CLA 3002 Career Kickstarter (check Schedule Builder)
- Get started on a Pre-Health Action Plan