What Can I Do With a Major In French & Italian Studies?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
Dept. of French & Italian Studies
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the French and Italian studies majors. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and French & Italian majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include strong verbal & written communication skills, critical thinking and creative problem-solving, and listening, clarifying, questioning & responding skills.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "ASE" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- International Staffing Consultants
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- HECUA internship program
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- American Translators Association
- Association of International Educators
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Foreign Policy Association
- International Association of Conference Translators
- International Federation of Translators
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language
- National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators
- National Council on Interpreting in Health Care
- MA, French Language & Literature - University of California-Berkeley
- MA, International Leadership
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!