What Can I Do With a Major In Music?
explore majors and careers!
Connect with us in a drop-in or appointment!
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the music major. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and music majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include the ability to work independently and collaboratively, creative problem-solving skills and critical thinking.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "ASI" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- Entertainment Careers Net
- Hypbot’s Music Industry Jobs
- Music Jobs USA
- Berklee Careers in Music
- Careers in Music
- Majoring in Music
- Performing Arts Career Guide
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- HECUA internship program
- Music and Sound Studies Interdisciplinary Student Group
- Electronic Dance Music Club
- Music Sharing Club
- Oriental Music Club
- Music Therapy Student Association
- Basses Wild
- 7Days A Cappella
- Serenade the City
- Jazz Vintage Sound
- Amateur Musicians Playing for Delight
- The University Musicians Network
- Club Kanye: Music Influence and Culture Appreciation
- Youth Music Education Foundation - Minneapolis
- Live Music Appreciation Organization
- Wild Whistle Missiles
- Tau Beta Sigma
- Radio K - KUOM
- Urban Sound
- The Enchantments
- American Federation of Musicians
- American Guild of Musical Artists
- American Music Therapy Association
- Conductors Guild
- League of American Orchestras
- Music and Entertainment Industry Educators Association
- Music Teachers National Association
- National Association for Music Education – Careers in Music
- Society for Ethnomusicology
- Women in Music
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!