What Can I Do With a Major In Spanish & Portuguese Studies?
explore majors and careers!
Connect with us in a drop-in or appointment!
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the Spanish & Portuguese studies majors. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and Spanish & Portuguese majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include cross-cultural knowledge and understanding, ability to work well independently and collaboratively, and critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "ASE" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- Lat Pro
- Latin American Jobs
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- HECUA internship program
- Latino International Student Association
- Spanish & Portuguese Across Cultures Association
- Hispanic & Luso-Brazilian Linguistics Association
- Latin Dance Club of UMN
- La Raza Student Cultural Center
- Business Association of Latin American Studies
- Latin American Studies Association
- Society for Latin American Studies
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!