Director: Dr. Emily Threinen
The Wind Ensemble is a select ensemble composed of 60 of the University’s finest graduate and undergraduate wind and percussion musicians. The ensemble performs five to six concerts on and off campus each academic year. Admission is by audition only.
The Symphonic Band is an ensemble of 70 to 80 select wind and percussion players. Although many members are music majors, the ensemble includes a number of undergraduate and graduate students from other disciplines. Symphonic Band performs four or five concerts each year. Admission is by audition only.
Fall 2019 Directors: Dr. Lance Sample, J. Nick Smith, and Shaun Evans
Spring 2020 Directors: David Roush, Preston Weber, J. Nick Smith, and Shaun Evans
We are proud to offer three Campus Band opportunities: Maroon Band, Gold Band, and North Star Band. The Campus Bands are open to students of varied majors and disciplines within the University. These ensembles allow all levels of student musicians to enjoy making music with limited rehearsal demands. The Campus Bands rehearse one time per week (Monday, Wednesday, or Thursday evening) and perform two concerts per semester. A formal audition is not required.
If you are interested in joining a Campus Band, sign up for MUS 3400, section 002, 003, or 004.
Concert Band Concerts 2019–20
All concerts at 7:30pm in Ted Mann Concert Hall unless otherwise noted.
- Friday, September 27 - Wind Ensemble
- Saturday, October 12 - School of Music Collage Concert
- Thursday, October 17 - Symphonic Band
- Thursday, October 24 - North Star & Gold Campus Bands
- Monday, October 28 - University Band & Maroon Campus Band
- Friday, November 22 - Symphonic Band & Princeton High School
- Monday, December 2 - Maroon & Gold Campus Bands
- Monday, December 9 - University Band & North Star Campus Band
- Wednesday, December 11 - Wind Ensemble
- Thursday, February 27 - University Band & North Star Campus Band
- Tuesday, March 3 - Symphonic Band
- Wednesday, March 4 - Wind Ensemble
- Thursday, March 5 - Maroon & Gold Campus Bands
- Friday, April 3 - Wind Ensemble
- Tuesday, April 14 - Symphonic Band and University Band
- Thursday, April 30 - North Star, Gold and Maroon Campus Bands
A copy of our poster with all performance dates is available here.
Connect with us!
- Facebook (Marching Band)
- Facebook (Bands)
- Twitter (Marching Band)
- YouTube (Marching Band)
- Instagram (Bands)
The following funds provide support to Concert Bands acitivities at the University of Minnesota (Twin Cities):
Regardless of your intended major, there are several ways to become a part of the rich Band tradition at the University of Minnesota.
- Audition for a Concert Band (3 of 6 concert bands do not require an audition)
- Audition for the Marching Band
- Apply to the School of Music (music majors, minors and PSEO students)
- U of M Band Events 2019-20 poster will be created for classroom decoration.
- If you are interested in visiting campus to observe rehearsal or schedule a tour, contact email@example.com