What Can I Do With a Major In Russian?
explore majors and careers!
Connect with us in a drop-in or appointment!
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about a major in Russian. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and Russian majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include strong verbal and written communication skills, ability to formulate clear and persuasive messages, and the ability to speak another language.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "ASE" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- Asian Jobs.com
- Hispanic Jobs.com
- International Staffing Consultants
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- HECUA internship program
- American Council on the Teaching of Foreign Languages
- American Translators Association
- Association of International Educators
- Council on International Educational Exchange
- Foreign Policy Association
- International Association of Conference Translators
- International Federation of Translators
- International Association of Teachers of English as a Foreign Language
- National Association of Judiciary Interpreters and Translators
- National Council on Interpreting in Health Care
- MA, Slavic Languages & Literature - University of Michigan
- PhD, Slavic Languages & Literature - University of Michigan
- MA/PhD, Modern Russian History - Indiana University Bloomington
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!