Declare Your Major
Ready to declare?
You can declare a major in sociology two ways: by viewing our online info session and then meeting with an advisor, or by attending an in-person information and declaration session. We encourage you to declare before you reach 60 semester credits; this ensures that you have a clear and timely path to graduation and connects you with department-specific opportunities and resources for scholarships and research.
You must attend an in-person appointment or informational declaration session in order to declare (rather than drop-in hours), since we discuss and plan your coursework for your sociology major, explore plans for reaching your overall goals, and fill out the major declaration form.
View the Online Info Session and then Meet In-Person With Our Advisor
- View this online Information Session. This is a mandatory first step in declaring your major in sociology. Be sure to remember the code in the information session, because you'll need the code for the Sociology Planning Questionnaire linked below.
- Schedule an appointment with undergraduate advising. You will find the details about setting up this appointment in the information session video. For your appointment, bring the Sociology Planning Questionnaire with the code from the information session. We do not declare majors on Drop-In hours.
To schedule simply email us at firstname.lastname@example.org and we'll work on getting something setup. With everyone now working remotely we anticipate a great deal of email volume, there may be a delay in our response. We will virtually meet with you via phone, Google Hangouts, or Zoom.
CANCELLED FOR SPRING 2020 Attend a Group Info and Declaration Session
Group informational declaration sessions are held in 915 Social Sciences Building. To attend one of these in-person sessions, simply come to the session—no need to sign up. Meetings do not usually run the full hour, so we strongly suggest arriving five minutes before the session starts to ensure you don't miss anything. Transfer students (current or admitted) see the important note at the bottom of the page.
Upcoming sessions for Spring 2020:
- Friday, 3/27 - 2:00 to 3:00 PM
- Thursday, 4/2 - 1:00 to 2:00 PM
- Tuesday, 4/7 - 9:00 to 10:00 AM
- Wednesday, 4/15 - 12:00 to 1:00 PM
- Tuesday, 4/21 - 9:00 to 10:00 AM
If you are not yet a current University of Minnesota Twin Cities student, you will first need to be admitted to the University and then to the College of Liberal Arts. We discourage admitted transfer students from attending these sessions, as group interactions do not allow us to review individual transfer courses and discuss credit application one-on-one. Find more information for transfer students.