What Can I Do With a Major In Sociology & Sociology of Law, Criminology, and Deviance?
explore majors and careers!
Career Counselor Liaison
Department of Sociology
Get career help or schedule
On this page:
- Explore this Major
- Internship & Job Search Websites
- Student Groups
- Professional Organization
- Graduate Programs
- Alumni Career Examples
Learn more about the sociology or sociology of law, criminology, and deviance major. All liberal arts degrees help CLA students develop their Core Career Competencies, and sociology majors develop specific skills that are applicable to lots of different careers. These skills include the ability to recognize trends and patterns, strong interpersonal and cross-cultural communications skill, research, analysis, and statistical skills, and the ability to work well with diverse groups.
Students who take the SuperStrong Interest Inventory receive a three-letter interest code, which identifies their top three areas of interest, work activities, potential skills, and personal values. The interest code "IES" is often associated with this major, however, the SuperStrong assessment can help you understand how your interests connect to a variety of majors and career options. You can learn more about common employer types and occupations associated with this major. You can also see CLA specific examples of alumni careers below.
- UMN Sociology Undergraduate Resources-Internship Listings
- HECUA internship program
- American Sociological Association Job Board
- American Society of Criminology Job Board
- The Social Service Job Site
- USA Jobs
- Corrections Job Board
- Police Officer job Board
- Sociology at Work
- Minnesota Council of Nonprofits
- Idealist (Nonprofit positions in the US and internationally)
- USA Jobs
- Public Service Careers (Check out “Why Public Service?”)
- Council on Social Work Education
- Association for Humanist Sociology
- Association for Applied & Clinical Sociology
- Society for the Study of Social Problems
- Justice Studies Association
- American Probation and Parole Association
- American Correctional Association
- National Narcotic Officer Association
- National Association of Paralegal Association
- American Sociological Association
- International Sociological Association
- National Council for Social Studies
- Academy of Criminal Justice Sciences
- American Society of Criminology
- PhD, Sociology, University of Arizona. Postgrad job: Assistant Professor of Sociology, University of Arizona
- MA, Sociology, University of Chicago. Postgrad job: Director, Saint Paul Promise Neighborhood
- PhD, Sociology, University of Minnesota
- PhD, Sociology, University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill
- PhD, Sociology, The Ohio State
- PhD, Sociology, Northwestern University
Below is a small sampling of what alumni with this major have pursued, organized by the most common career fields they go into (although keep in mind that there are alumni in all eight of the career fields). You can also utilize the LinkedIn's Alumni Tool and the Maroon and Gold Network to further explore alumni career pathways and connect directly with professionals.
Click to expand each gray box below for opportunities pursued by alumni in this major!